03 May 2012

the state of my TV watching

Sometimes, technology provides mankind with the tools to make marvelous leaps forwards.  It can also, alternatively, provide the means of squandering hours of time, and possibly, regression into lazy-spend-everyday-like-a-kid-on-summer-vacation-mode.

in my case, the recollection that i had a netflix account has proven almost as detrimental to my productivity levels as discovering AIM in middle school.

(AIM was a revelation at that age....until you kept the phone lines busy [dial up? heck yes] and your parents missed important phone calls and your internet usage was drastically curbed.  whoops.)

as a result, my TV show exposure has grown exponentially in the last few months, and can be roughly categorized as follows:

Shows I've Started Watching Against My Better Judgement

1. Downton Abbey
Let me just say that this show is mega addictive.  Under the innocent guises of PBS programming and British aristocracy, it lures you into its complex story lines and remarkably well developed characters until you find yourself vehemently devoted to the cause of Bates, and subversive romance of the upstart driver and youngest Crawley daughter. NOT TO MENTION MARY AND MATTHEW.  AAAAAAH.

2. Game of Thrones
If you know me, you probably knew this would happen.  HBO is the evil laboratory of addictive television, and this show does not disappoint.  (Understatement of the century).  This show is so ridiculously awesome that I was compelled to read ALL FOUR BOOKS that were available to me during the hiatus of production.  That's approximately 3000+ pages in around 3 weeks.

at last, those academic UIL chops are paying off. score.

on a related note.  WINTER IS COMING.

3. Celebrity Ghost Stories
Ok ok, you absolutely can and should judge me here. I like ghost stories, too much, and hearing washed up and/or obscure celebrities recount nights of terror accompanied by terrible reenactments is truly a gem of a guilty pleasure.  Plus, sometimes, someone truly fantastic (see: Loretta Lynn, Matthew Gray Gubler, Fred Willard, to name a few)  will make tell a fascinating story that makes it totally worth listening to Harry Hamlin blabber on about how a ghost kept Fed Ex from delivering an important package on time. (seriously, I couldn't have made that up if i tried)

4. The Borgias
You are allowed to judge me a little for this.  But I will counter all of your judgements with this simple fact: Jeremy Irons is magic.  Anything involving Jeremy Irons at least gets a chance with me.  Jeremy Irons as a corrupt and powerful patriarch of "the original crime family?"  COME ON, it's like they put Scar in fancy robes and let him run amuk in renaissance Rome.

Yes, that was a Lion King reference.

5. The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret
This is not for the faint of heart.  David Cross and Will Arnett are geniuses of comedy.... but this show is so agonizingly awkward and ridiculous that I spent most of the time watching it with white knuckles and fists clenching saying "please no, don't do that, oh no oh no, why why why" in between bursts of laughter.

6. Grimm
Remember how I like ghosts?  Really I like all things creepy crawly and/or supernatural.  (Deal with it).  Grimm's Fairy Tales retold in 20th century settings with X-files worthy cinematography (see: dark and foresty) = perfection.

Shows I've Stopped Watching
1. Grimm
That didn't last long.  I mean, there are some charming characters, and cleverly reworked fables here... but there are also complicated subplots that are not too compelling, and it comes on Friday nights.  Not helping.  Give it time, I'll probably come back to this via Netflix the next time I'm sick.

2. NCIS: LA
Why did I even start watching this show?

3. Mad Men
My attention span has gotten too short for this season.  I watched a few episodes.  Not feeling it right now, maybe if they added ghosts, or white-walkers or something.  (kidding. [kind of])

4. Criminal Minds
This is just self preservation.  I live alone, and this show utilizes the "all-single-women-living-alone-will-be-murdered" plot line every other week or so.  Not helping my sleep schedule.

Show Everyone Yells At Me To Watch
1. Modern Family
I GET IT. Sorry!  Don't even start with me, I know that I'm the worst person in America because I haven't started watching this yet, and have only the vaguest idea who Sofia Vergara is, but I will get there and then you can stop hating me.

2. Breaking Bad
I still am not sure how this is going to be awesome, but pretty much everyone around me talks about it, so I'll check it out.

3. Portlandia
I will watch it, and I will put birds on all the things.

Shows I Still Have ZERO Interest In.... Ever
Ice Road Anything

Kardashian Shenanigans

Glee (sorry everyone)

2 Broke Girls/Two and a Half Men/Cougar Town/Laugh Tracks in general, actually

America's Got Talent/American Idol/Dancing with the "Stars"

America's Funniest Home Videos

Grey's Anatomy and it's thousands of spin offs



No comments:

Post a Comment